Skip to main content

How Luxury Lost Its Luster (How Groupthink Influences Fashion)

Earlier this year, I read the book Deluxe: How luxury lost its luster by Dana Thomas. This is a must read for everyone who buys luxury items.  I was born in the early 70s and I got my first taste of luxury that I can remember at age 11 with my first Coach bag.  I remember the bag fondly.  It was a dinky bag in taupe.  I remember the bag was made out of leather that was comparable to a baseball glove.  Rewind twenty years later, Coach has introduced a similar version in a rainbow of colors.  I am sure the bag is not as well built like my bag purchased over 20 years ago.  I  wanted to give Coach the benefit of the doubt so I ordered the Coach duffel in Vermilion.  I received the bag and it was nothing like my second Coach bag (a black duffel sak) I received as a Easter present from my mother back in 1989. The bag was so bad, that when I took it to Coach for a return, the salespeople couldn't believe the quality of the bag.  They never saw any of the Coach original bags in person because they are sold only online. God, I wish I would of kept my old Coach bags.

Like others who have been buying luxury items all of their lives because of quality and originality, I felt that I was getting to big for Coach's britches.  I wanted a newer and obscure brand so I went for Dooney and Bourke.  Dooney and Bourke became Louis Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Bottega Veneta, and so on.  I remember a time when luxury was only in the hands of quite of few.  That's what made it unique and the quality was to die for.  Now with the Internet and celebrities, high fashion has reached the hands of the masses.  The masses equate style with what is the most expensive.  If you have the most expensive and coveted styles, you are considered stylish. 

I was recently on one of my favorite blogs, and the blogger interviewed a woman that didn't fit inside the proverbial stylish box:  young, waifish, and dressed head to toe in designer threads.  She was a beautiful older woman whose style by my interpretation was Ziggy Stardust meets Stevie Nicks.  Her house was modest, not the pre-staged, photo shopped, magazine homes you see.  She was being herself.  The comments about her closet and home were mostly negative.  Commenters didn't like her home or her style.  I thought to myself if she was dressed in a conspicuous way, the comments would of being all positive... as I see with other women dressed in designer clothes, shoes, and handbags. 

Groupthink has influenced fashion.  People think that if you have the latest handbag, Chanel suit, and Christian Louboutins, you are stylish.  Nothing against those brands, but people often equate a higher price tag with quality.  Quality has been diminished with almost everything. I was on one blog, and a woman had purchased some Chanel flats and they had developed a big hole on them after a few wears.  She took the shoes to a shoe repairer and he stated that the most expensive shoes are made the cheapest.  That is why I  recommend all to read the book by Dana Thomas, Deluxe: How luxury lost its luster.  These luxury brands have one priority:  increasing profits for the shareholders.  If that means cranking out merchandise by any means possible and as quickly/cheaply as possible while charging astronomical prices, so be it. 
I am going to end this blog with a quote from our first lady, Michelle Obama.  She is a very stylish woman.  She wears what she likes against all convention and looks good doing it.  "Find your spot.  Find your space.  Wear what you love." - FLOTUS, Michelle Obama.

Blessings!!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Dooney and Bourke Florentine Smith Bag in Royal Blue

Good Morning All, I have been enjoying this nice Chicago weather we have.  It has been around 70-80 degrees for almost two weeks now.  It is kind of creepy.  I went to Culver's yesterday to get one of my favorite treats, a three scoop lemon Ice and while in the drive through I see a big bumblebee.  Spring is definitely in the air.  I am waiting for the ball to drop.  Will we be getting 6 inches of snow in May?  Anyways, I got a new bag.  Well, I exchanged a bag that I had bought about two months ago for this bag.  It is the Dooney and Bourke Florentine Smith Bag in Royal Blue.  I had purchased this bag in white/tan for the spring and had a change of heart.  I like white bags; however, they don't wear well.  Eventually they will get some kind of color transfer from denim or they will yellow overtime. I have a Chloe and Marc Jacobs bag that did that.  Well, the bag in my opinion is not royal blue in person.  It is more of a cerulean blue... that same cerulean blue that cause

Dooney and Bourke is Becoming My Favorite Again

Alto Canvas Wide Tassel Bag Amazon Medium Double Gussett Satchel Alto Magnetic Crossbody Florentine Drawstring Florentine Mini Satchel Mauro Governa Crocodile Double Shopper As I mentioned earlier, I am a total handbag and shoe fanatic.  I loved handbags every since  I received my first Coach bag at the age of 12. As the years went by, I went from being a Coach fanatic to a Dooney and Bourke fanatic, back to a Coach fanatic, and then I ventured into highend designer bags.  I have a personal SA at Louis Vuitton, a SA for Celine Luggage Bags at Barneys and the list goes on.  One thing I could never bring myself to buy was a Birkin Bag.  However, I did purchase a Hermes Evelyn last year and had buyer's remorse so I returned it.  I don't know why because I bought about 11 bags last year ranging from Bottega Veneta, Celine, Gucci, and Louis Vuitton.  I could of owned about five Birkins by now.  I figured Birkins weren't quite my style along with

Is Blogging Dead?

Hello To All. I have been missing in action from this blog since 2015.  I am the type of person that gets bored with things quite quickly.  I have a question for you today.  Is blogging dead?  There are millions of blogs out there covering everything from fashion, food, homes, wine, and etc.  With the fashion piece, Instagram has taken over the need to post a  blog about what a person is wearing and what the audience should buy. However, is it quite necessary to share with the world everything that a person does in their life. I am signing off with this open ended question; should you leave things to the  imagination?  Ponder on that question; will you. Until next time, many, many, many, blessings!